Closing Date: 10 August 2012
The Materials Science and Manufacturing (MSM) unit invites newly qualified professionals or students in mechatronics, electronics, mechanical, computer engineering or engineering science, chemistry or chemical engineering to apply for Internship/In-service Trainingwithin the Mechatronics and Micro-Manufacturing competency area. These contract positions are for a period of 12 months and are based in Pretoria.
- Design and develop mechanical structures, electronic designs or programming, or possibly a combination thereof.
- Experiment electronics, robots and instrumentation.
- CAD, either mechanical or electronic.
- Build and test prototypes.
- Order component and manage stock of the laboratory.
- Ensure the safe operation of the laboratory.
- Design experiments.
- Develop the chemical/bio process for the functionalisation of surfaces with aptamers or antibodies.
- Develop processes for the manufacture of particles utilising microfluidic methods.
- Characterise enzyme immobilised particles.
- Characterise paper-based test devices for water quality monitoring.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A minimum of a national diploma or degree in computer science/engineering, electronics, mechanical, mechatronics, chemistry, or biotechnology. For In-service training, candidates must be in their third-year of study in the above-mentioned fields.
- Good computer literacy.
- All of the following are desirable:
- Innovative and entrepreneurial thought;
- Desire to experiment with new technology, products and services;
- Drive to succeed;
- Passion for knowledge and knowledge generation;
- Ability to transfer knowledge and to empower or enable others;
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Being organised and diligent;
- Planning skills;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Problem solving skills; and
- Project management skills.
How to Apply
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.
Comments are closed.